You might be worried about COVID-19 and how it could affect your life. This might feel difficult or stressful. But there are lots of things you can try that could help your wellbeing. The awareness and good habits of breathing are key components of healing, transformation, and a clear mind. In particular, the diaphragmatic breathing technique regulates and balances the nervous system, supporting physical, mental, and emotional health and well-being.
The Belly Breathing Technique can help you use your diaphragm properly. When you inhale, the diaphragm presses downward, causing the abdomen to expand. When you exhale, the diaphragm relaxes and the abdomen falls.
1. Lie down on your back, slightly bend your knees and put your head on a pillow. (You can also place a pillow under your knees)
2. Place one hand on your upper chest and the other one below your rib cage, feeling the movement of your diaphragm.
3. Slowly inhale using your nose, feeling your stomach pressing into your hand.
4. Keep your other hand still.
5. Exhale using pursed lips as you tighten your stomach muscles, keeping your upper hand completely still. Once you learn how to belly breathe lying down, you can then try to practice this technique during your daily activities.